Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Stuck In

Well...as 2008 closes, I find myself unable to sleep most nights. Liverpool are top of the table and my poor girlfriend can only stand to hear me ramble on about Fernando Torres's hammy and Robbie Keane's shyness in front of goal and Andrea Dossena's total inability to do anything but suck. So I lay there wondering about all these pressing issues, and more, like the upcoming hexagonal in CONCACAF, Neven Subotic's choice and is Bruce Arena the answer for the Galaxy?

Ha. Kidding on the last one.

The point remains, I needed somewhere to exert my passion for The Beautiful Game and you, dear readers of the internets, are the lucky recipiants.

My blog title comes from former US Men's National Team coach Steve Sampson's ill-fated set-up in the opening game of the 1998 World Cup v. Germany. That lineup was gayer than calling your national team die Mannschaft. As such, I've set the bar extremely low with the title. I couldn't possibly fail more epically than Sampson, or Mike Burns for that matter, did in that game.

*

About me: I'm a long-time player who achieved a modicum of success in the youth and prep ranks. I've coached a dozen years, from U-8 AYSO to high school varsity. I get up early for Premier League games every weekend. I support Liverpool. Steve McManaman is my favorite player ever. I nearly named my son Owen, after Michael Owen, but the (ex-)wife nixed the plan. I also follow the USMNT very closely, as well as American players abroad.

About the blog: I will mostly deal with the EPL and USMNT, but will highlight stories from other leagues, as well. I might try really hard to become more familiar with MLS this year. It's so hard. But it really should be my duty as a soccer-loving American. Is that a New Year's resolution? No. And you can't prove it is. You may get a few personal anecdotes mixed in, from my battles in the Sunday pub league or my son's AYSO club, which I coached last season to an underwhelming 4-6, or my own glory days gone by. Not for ego, mind you, but in service to a greater, universal point.

This should be fun. I'm getting out of my track suit and entering the fray.

No comments:

Post a Comment